Thursday, January 5, 2012

Peachy keen french toast

Breakfast - my absolute favourite meal of the day. I'm usually a big fan of the yogurt/granola combination but on day's when I have more time (aka the holidays), I'm always down to try something a little more fun.  I found this recipe for a Peach french toast bake in the same magazine as my Baked shrimp with tomato and feta" (see below) called "Eat Smart" with Ellie Krieger, author of the best selling book "The Foods You Crave". The best thing about this dish is that it can be pre-made the night before in about 15 minutes, and just needs to be baked the next morning.
I've attached the recipe in the title but here is a basic run-down: Cut a baguette into 1/2 inch slices and arrange them in a single layer in a baking pan. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and vanilla, and pour it in the pan.  Scatter peach slices over the bread and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight - SO EASY.

Next morning, bake at 350 until the bread is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Top with maple syrup, and add a side of yogurt.    
I added some blueberries I found in the fridge
You can mix it up with different fruits, I'm going to try it with apples or strawberries next time. Frozen fruit is fine for the winter but once summer rolls around, definitely switch to the fresh stuff!

Happy Thursday!

A.C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...