Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Granola family

My cousin Adele gave me this recipe in the summer when my family spent a week at her cottage; she literally whipped up this badboy in half an hour before we went waterskiing one morning. I've been looking for a granola recipe for a while, and this one is so easy and super healthy! The great thing about granola is that it's so easy to modify it to what you like (we all know how much I looooove changing recipes!); dried peaches or blueberries, walnuts, almonds, just about anything can be mixed into this delicious breakfast treat. I'm going to try it with sunflower seeds next time. AND depending on how many cups of oats you put in, you can make a ton of granola in advance and it will last you a while. I made this recipe all for myself and it turned out to fill 3 tupperware containers. Just make sure they're airtight and you're good to go.

The Dry Guys
Mix Dry Ingredients
4 cups flake oats
12 cup white flour (or buckwheat flour)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cinnamon

A heaping sticky mess of deliciousness
Things you can add:
3/4 raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 sunflower/pumpkin seeds/
Basically, any dried fruit or nut or grain that you like!

Wet ingredients
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
3/4 cup maple syrup

Voila! Granola a la Adele!


1. Mix dry and wet ingredients together until damp. Everything will feel really gooey and sticky, but that's totally fine.

2. Press into a 9 x 12 lightly greased pan. Try and spread it out as best as you can. 

3. Bake @ 375 for 20-25 minutes, (depending on how crappy your oven is - mine took 30.)

4. Let sit for 10 minutes and that's it! As I moved the granola into my tupperware I tried to break up some of the bigger clumped pieces so they wouldn't stay stuck together.

5. Pair with your favourite yogurt for breakfast, with some fresh fruit. My current favourite right now is President's Choice Greek Yogurt.

Happy Tuesday!

A.C 

P.S Some personal Alicia info - If you didn't know, breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, and the granola/yogurt combo is usually my go-to breakfast dish..and also the source of my blog name - "Birdfood Breakfasts". One night in undergrad my friend Shannel stayed over, and when she came downstairs the next morning she took one look in my bowl of rolled oats, wheat germ, flax, and seeds and said "Alicia, do you have anything other than bird food for breakfast?" :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...