Friday, December 9, 2011

Home sweet home (and more importantly, well-stocked fridge)


Home for the holidays! Hoorah! That means a bigger kitchen and a fuller fridge. I decided to make dinner for the rents last night and here's what was on the menu:

The chicken was a recipe from the wonderful Ina Garten, in her book How Easy Is That? It's called Jeffrey's Roast Chicken, and is super great if you don't have a lot of prep time. I've linked the recipe, but basically you stuff the chicken cavity with lemon and garlic (and I added a few sprigs of rosemary), then roast the chicken on a bed of lemons and onions. After roasting for about an hour and 15 minutes, remove the chicken from the pan and cover with aluminium foil (called "tenting" the chicken) for 10 minutes on another platter. Here's the best part - you thentake the roasted onions/lemons and place it on the stove over med-high heat, adding dry white wine, chicken stock, and 1 tbsp all purpose flour. This makes a thick and flavourful sauce to drizzle all over the chicken in once its been carved. Mmmmmmm........

Jeffrey's Roast Chicken
For the beans, I used a Rose Reisman recipe that was actually for asparagus, but we didn't have any asparagus so I made due. I steamed the beans, and then poured a mix of tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and a tiny bit of mayo and garnished with toasted pine nuts and parsley. 

Green beans with Tahini and Pine Nuts

I made a salad with arugula and raddichio, and added slivered almonds, crumbled goat cheese and half a peeled pear. For the dressing I mixed red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and a few sprigs of thyme. Careful with red wine vinegar, only a little bit gives a LOT of taste!
Arugula with Goat Cheese and Pear
I also made a side of rice, and everything turned out pretty great. One thing I would note is the chicken recipe calls for 2 whole lemons for a 4-5 lb chicken. Since this one was only about 3 lb.'s, I think the lemon flavour may have been a biiiiiit too much - but definitely still delicious!

Bon appetite!

A.C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...