Saturday, October 13, 2012

Prosciutto wrapped figs with gorgonzola



I have recently become a fig addict. I say recently because for the vast majority of my 24-year existence, I avoided this fruit like the plague. My family loves them, my grandparents grow them, and I have done everything in my power to stay as far away from them as humanly possible. It started in Grade 2 - I tried my first Fig Newton, spit the whole thing out, and vowed to never eat anything fig-related for the rest of my life. It took me up until about 2 weeks ago to fully accept that Fig Newtons (yuck) are very, very, far from what an actual fresh fig tastes like. I was in Italy, and my friends were picking them off the trees in the orchard.  Something inside me said "go on, give it another try!"...so I did, and it was love at first fig. 

This appetizer is simple, fast, and perfect for a pre-lunch/dinner soirree. Not too filling, and not too messy. The salty prosciutto and gorgonzola pairs perfectly with the sweetness from the fig, and once the whole package is lightly roasted, all the flavours blend together creating a smorgasbord of deliciousness.  I made these badboys as starters for our family Thanksgiving lunch and they were a hit. Although... cheese wrapped in meat? How can you really go wrong here...

What you need
  • 12 fresh figs, trimmed of any hard stem
  • 1/4 pound gorgonzola cheese, cut into 12 pieces
  • 12 slices prosciutto
  • Honey or balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
Score the inside of the fig, creating a little pocket for the cheese.
Stuff a piece of cheese into the slit of each fig, then wrap with a piece of prosciutto.  They look nicer without the toothpick, but if you don't have a long enough piece of meat it's difficult to keep it all wrapped up.
Broil at 450°F for about 4-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Do not overcook.
Serve on a platter with a few sprigs of rosemary, and drizzle with either a bit of honey or aged balsamic vinegar.
That's it, that's all! Easy peasy. 

Happy Saturday!

A.C

P.S After a long hiatus of school, work, weddings, and some vacation time (!), I am making a conscious effort not to ignore my little blog when life gets hectic. See you soon =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...