Someone once told me "No one makes friends with salads". Well, summer is the time for salads and last night I made the friendliest salad in existence. I dare you to find any qualms with this guy! Just look at him (^^). Roasted eggplant, toasted slivered almonds, crumbled goat cheese, and fresh artichokes, how can you possibly exclude him from your friend circle?? Impossible.
What you need:
- 2 cups lettuce, spinach, or other favourite leafy green
- 1 eggplant (or 2, depending on how big they are)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- goat cheese (as much as you'd like...I'm usually generous)
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 4 artichoke hearts
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 squirt of honey (or agave)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400C. Slice the eggplant into dice-sized pieces, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- Mix together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, agave, garlic, cumin, and paprika in a bowl. Coat the eggplant with the mixture, and then place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, mixing every 15 minutes, until the eggplant is a nice golden brown. Let cool.
- While baking, mix the juice from one fresh lemon with the of soy sauce.
- Mix the roasted eggplant with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and sliced artichokes. Add the lemon juice mixture and top with slivered almonds and crumbled goat cheese. Add fresh parsley to make this salad look extra pretty.
More friends for this little salad coming your way soon.